Details of scholarship and research publications (discipline-based or related to teaching and learning in the discipline) which could be in the form of a CV
As I have previously stated, I joined the NMMU in May 2007. I registered for my PhD in 2006, but had to change my initial topic and research after I was appointed, as my initial topic was primary school based at my then residing school. Thus, I started to refocus in May 2007. In spite of this change, I was able to complete my ‘new’ PhD in two years and six months, which I think is quite an achievement, considering the employment change (from being a primary school teacher to the NMMU as an academic) and taking into account that I did not have any sabbatical to work on my PhD.
My publications in this short seven year space of time include the following as academic:
ISI an IBSS indexed journals
- Du Plessis, A. (2016). Student-teachers’ pedagogical Beliefs: learner-centred or teacher-centred when using ICT in the science classroom? Journal of Baltic Science Education, 15(2), 140-158.
- Du Plessis, A. (2016). Educational Research for Social Change and
the Need for New Methodologies (Editorial). Educational Research for Social Change, 5(2), vi-xii.
- Zinn, D., Adam, K., Kurup, R. and Du Plessis, A. (2016). Returning to the Source: Reflexivity and Transformation in Understanding a Humanising Pedagogy. Educational Research for Social Change, 5(1), 70-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/2221-4070/2016/v5i1a5
- Du Plessis, A. (2015). Rethinking traditional science teaching through infusing ICT learning embedded by a ‘learning-as-design’ approach. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 14(1), 4-6.[Special invited Editorial].
- Du Plessis, A., & Webb, P. (2012). Teachers’ perceptions about their own and their schools’ readiness for computer implementation: A South African case study. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 11(3), 312-325
- Du Plessis, A., & Webb, P. (2012). A teacher proposed heuristic for ICT professional teacher development and implementation in the South African context. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 11(4), 46-55.
- Du Plessis, A., & Webb, P. (2012). Digital immigrant teacher perceptions of an extended Cyberhunt strategy. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 28(2), 341-363.
- Du Plessis, A., & Webb, P. (2011). An extended Cyberhunts strategy: Learner centred learning-by-design. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(7), 1190-1207.
DHET accredited journals
- Du Plessis, A. & Webb, P. (2011). An extended 'learning by design' framework based on learner perceptions. African Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 15(2), 16-29.
- Du Plessis, A. & Webb, P. (2008). Generative use of computers: Promoting critical outcomes of the South African curriculum. Education as Change, 12(1), 15-27.
Articles in refereed journals
- Du Plessis, A. & Subramanien, B. (2014). Voices of despair: Challenges of multi-grade teachers in a rural district in South Africa. Educational Research for Social Change, 3(1), 20-36.
- Cain, G. & Du Plessis, A. (2013). Teachers’ perceptions of the consequences of interpersonal conflict: A case study in three primary schools. Problems of Management in the 21st Century. Managing in a changing Society, 8, 25-41.
- Du Plessis, A. (2013). Wikis and Power Points as cognitive development tools in Scientific Literacy: A Proposed Heuristic. Problems in Education in the 21st Century. 57, 25-47.
Keynote at conferences
- Du Plessis, A. (2014). An ICT learning-to-design heuristic to promote science learning: using PowerPoint in an “unintended” mode. IXth IOSTE SYMPOSIUM FOR CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE Science and Technology Education for the XXIst Century at the University of Hradec Králové in the Czech Republic, 15 to 17 September 2014.
- Du Plessis, A. (2014). Cyberhunts: Technology usage meeting levels of cognitive thinking and critical outcomes in all subjects, including science. Video keynote presented at the NATURAL SCIENCE EDUCATION IN COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOLS 2014 Conference, Panevėžys, 25–26 April, 2014.
- Du Plessis, A. (2013). Wikis and PowerPoints as cognitive development tools in Scientific Literacy. International Scientific Conference, “Information & communication technology in natural science education – 2013”, 23-27 October 2013, Siauliai, Lithuania.
- Du Plessis, A. (2011). Internet learning through learners as designers of Extended Cyberhunts: A South African Developed Strategy. Presentation at the Africa Higher-Ed ICT Conference, Johannesburg, 30-31 March 2011.